Monday, February 18, 2008

The dilemna (PLEASE HELP!)

Ok, so I recently took the marketing plunge for my business and had an ad placed on http://www.myseattlebaby.com/ , well, this evening I checked to see if the ad had been posted, to see what it looked and well, because I was excited :) Anyhow, it was definetely posted and boy did I get more than I bargained for! My photography website is myposhportraits.com, there also happens to be a poshportraits.com which is intimate ADULT portraits, not only do I find these kind of portraits inappropriate but please keep in mind that I am advertising for newborn and children's photography and this website is a far cry from either (not to mention that intimate portraits are not my thing). I once had a guy call me and ask me if I would do some pictures for of him for his girlfriend, um, well, I..., uh, hmm, well lets just say the only naked bums that I'll be photographing are babies ;) I wonder if he thought I was associated, I never thought of that until now, hmm. So my dilemna is do I change my name? Will people associate me with the other? I am not upset with the advertisers, it was an honest mistake, but I wonder if this will be an isolated incident. Will people hear about my photography and go home to look it up and think to themselves "Now what was the name of that business...I remember "something" poshportraits, hmm, maybe I'll try that". In the grand scheme of things this is all quite hilarious and it does give me something to blog about, I certainly hope I was the only one to see it, I hope there were no hits on the photography section tonight, but if there were, could you imagine the shock of a mother seeing an ad for a blue eyed baby girl in a fluffy pettiskirt and thinking "Oh, that's so sweet, I wonder what her other work looks like"
-click-...oh, the horror.

3 comments:

Shannon said...

That is a dilemna...I don't know what to tell you. How much do you think it would effect your business if you changed it? If it wouldn't effect it too much, I might change??? But sad if that's what you wanted your name to be...have them change their name! Kinda funny :)

*b said...

i think if that is already an issue, where your business is still in the early stages, i would change it. i don't think it's worth getting into your business long-term and possibly losing clients for this reason...sorry to hear that.
i almost had this happen to me in the past. i wanted to create a website and thought about the title, "out and about." it was supposed to be for moms and kids, but guess what kind of website with that name is already created...yup! a gay site!

anyway...just my thought...

*brittany

Tricia said...

I would change it. They are too similar. Sorry! I couldn't remember the name of your website and ended up on the other website. I even remembered you stressing the name because of the other website but I still couldn't remember the right name. I think you don't want anything even close to the other website name.