Tuesday, February 12, 2008

All that is beautiful

Every morning at 3:00am my sweet little Bella bean climbs in bed with us, she always comes to my side to crawl in. Well, this morning was no different than any other except I could not go back to sleep for the life of me! Why couldn't I sleep? Most people may not know this about me but I love to write poetry, it has always been a creative outlet for me. Last night before I went to bed I was looking through my "memory" box and came across some letters that my cousin had written me shortly before she passed away, this month marks ten years since she left this life. We were very close, she had cancer, she was 17 when she died. She was also a poet, she wrote beautifully, she understood things that only someone close to death might understand, the important things. One of my most treasured "earthly" possessions is a compilation of her poetry that her mother gave me shortly after she passed away. I think that is when I really took an interest in writing, at the time it was my way of coping with the situation. Well, back to last night, I couldn't go to sleep, words were keeping me awake, yes, words. This is not the first time this has happened, but I apparently haven't learned that my overactive mind will not rest until I write it down. After several hours of tossing and turning I finally got up, grabbed a pen and my journal and this is what I came up with:

If she had a name would she be mine,

or would she be yours?

Would beauty kiss her on

the cheek?

Would she medicate your mind

or heal your soul?

If I spoke to her would she recognize

my voice

or would my words fall on deaf ears?

If she will listen,

I must tell her that I love her

and she'll forever be

our baby girl.


This is a little different from my "normal" style, I am usually a rhyming sort of gal, but this is what I came up with.




I so love this picture of my baby girl, the inspiration behind the poem.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Great poem! And you already know how beautiful I think Samantha is -- what a gorgeous little girl!