Saturday, March 15, 2008

The heart of a child...


As I have mentioned in a previous post I am a volunteer photographer for "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep," infant bereavement photography. Last night I received my first call, it was heartwrenching, to say the least, a beautiful baby girl, fullterm, stillborn. This afternoon I was editing the images from the session and my son came and sat down by me to observe what I was doing. I spend a lot of time editing images and he usually pays no attention, however this time was different, he was very curious and intrigued by what I was doing. As I am paging through all of my images the following conversation played out:
Jaden: "Mommy, those pictures are beautiful!"
Mommy: "Well thank you!"
Jaden: "Mommy, is that person crying?"
Mommy: "Yes Jaden, she is very sad"
Jaden: "Why is she so sad?"
Mommy: "Her baby died and that makes her very sad"
Jaden: "Mommy?"
Mommy: "Yes?"
Jaden: "Jesus loves us and HE died, now we can live again."
Mommy (hardly able to contain the tears): "Yes Jaden, Jesus does love us and He did die so that we can live again."
Jaden: "Mommy, these pictures are gorgeous!"

Oh my goodness! How is a mother to control her emotions at a time like this? Where did those words come from? Gorgeous?!? It amazed me that in his 4 glorious years of experience he would directly relate the death of this little child to our Savior, that we can all live a again through Him. I am in complete awe of my sweet, sweet boy and his compassion, and he was right the pictures were gorgeous, not because of me, but because of God's beautiful little creation.

1 comment:

alisha said...

That is so tender. I so love the sweet spirits of children.

What an amazing experience to be a part of--and what a blessing for that family.